Uppumavu made usually with Rava or Vermicelli is a popular breakfast dish of Kerala. Learn how to prepare tasty and delicious Uppumavu
- Green Chillies (Chopped) – 3 or 4
- Ginger (minced finely) – A small piece (about 1 inch long)
- Dry Red Chillies – 4
- Onion (chopped into fine pieces) – 1 medium
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Rava/Wheat Semolina (Sooji) – 2 Cups
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – As Required
- Water – 2 cups + A few tablespoons
- Coconut Flakes – 2 tbsp (Optional)
- Lightly fry the rava in a non stick pan until it turns light brown. Stir continuously while frying the rava so that it doesn’t get burnt.
- Add 2 tbsp oil in another pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add onions, green chillies, red chillies and curry leaves and saute till the onions become tender.
- Add ginger and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and a little salt and allow it to boil.
- Add the fried rava into the boiling water stirring continuously, so that no lumps are formed.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes and mix everything well. (optional)
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat for 5 minutes approximately.
- If the upumavu is dry, sprinkle a few more tablespoons water and close the pan and cook for 2 more minutes.
- It is now ready to be served along with Banana or Chutney or any other side dish.