Unniyappam is a very special tea time snack which is popular is Kerala. It is normally prepared during special occasions or festive seasons. Learn how to make Unniyappams.
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 100 gms
- Water – 1 cup
- Coconut bits (thengakothu) – ½ cup, fried in ghee
- Black sesame seeds – ½ tbspn (optional), fried in ghee
- Mashed ripe bananas – ½ cup (mashed it in mixie)
- Sugar – ½ tbsp
- Bicarbonate of soda – ⅛ tspn
- Oil- for frying (I used coconut oil)
- Melt jaggery in 1 cup water till it becomes syrupy, but not thick. Add the melted jaggery to the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- The batter should be of dropping consistency. If the batter is too thick, add water to loosen it.
- Heat oil in Uniyappa chatti, make sure the oil is hot, but not smoking hot.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into hot oil and deep fry till golden brown.