Semiya Payasam is a very sweet and delicious dessert famous in Kerala and is made normally during festive seasons. Learn how to prepare yummy Semiya Payasam
- Semiya/ Vermicelli – 1/2 cup heaped
- Sugar – 1/2 cup levelled
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Cashew nuts – 6
- Raisins(optional) – 12
- Elachi – 1
- Salt – a pinch
- Water – 2 cups
- Heat a pan, add ghee and fry cashews into golden yellow in colour. If using raisins, fry them as well in ghee until it fluffs up. Keep aside. In the same pan, roast vermicelli in Medium-low flame with constant stirring.
- The vermicelli should turn golden here and there. Set aside. Bring water to boil in a large bowl Add the roasted vermicelli. Cook for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add sugar. Powder the elachi and add to it. The cooked vermicelli turns transparent at this stage. Boil for 2 minutes. Add the milk.
- Add milk and bring to boil. Boil for a minute, add a small pinch of salt and switch off the stove. As it cools down, it gets thicker. Garnish with fried cashews and raisins.