Parippu Vada is a delicious tea time snack common in South India. It is prepared using Toor Dal or Channa Dal. Learn how to prepare tasty Parippu Vada.
- Toor Dal (Thuvara parippu) or Channa dal (Kadala parippu) :1 cup or you can use 3/4 cup toor Dal or 1/4 cup of Chana dal
- Dry red chillies :4-5 nos
- Shallots/Pearl Onion : 4-5 Or use Onion : 1/2 (finely chopped)
- Asafoetida : a pinch
- Fennel Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Ginger : 2 tbsp (finely, chopped )
- Green Chilly : 4-6 (chopped)
- Curry Leaves : 3 tbsp (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep fry
- Rinse and soak the channa dal and toor dal for at least 3-4 hours. Drain the water and leave it in a colander for 15-20 minutes until the water drains completely. Press the dal with a paper towel, this will help in removing any water left in the dal.
- Coarsely grind the soaked dal with dry red chillies and fennel seeds in a mixer grinder for just 3-5 pulses without adding any water. (Note: Do make sure not to make it to a fine paste. Some of the dal will be left as it is. That would be the perfect dough.)
- Next crush or coarsely grind shallots and ginger and keep it aside. Finally add crushed shallots and ginger, green chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida powder and enough salt to the ground dal mixture and mix it nicely. Keep it aside for about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat enough oil in a deep bottom pan in a medium-low flame.
- Wet your palms and take small amount of the dal mixture and make a ball.Place in the center of the palm and flatten to a round shape.
- Then slightly press it with your palm and make patties and drop into the hot oil.
- Flip after 5 minutes and cook until the vada is a dark golden brown and crisp on the outside take out and drain in kitchen tissues. (Note: It might take about 3-4 minutes and then transfer the fried parippu vada to a paper towel.)