Mutton stew is a very tasty and yummy dish prepared with mutton and coconut milk. It is less spicy and a mouth watering special dish of the Keralites. Learn how to prepare Mutton Stew
- Mutton – 1/2 kg
- onion 1 medium,half moon sliced
- ginger chopped fine 1tbsp
- garlic chopped 1 tbsp
- green chillies 2-3 vertical slit
- potato 1 medium sized,cubed and divided
- carrot 1 medium sized cubed
- coconut milk medium thick 1 cup
- coconut milk very thin 1 cup
- salt to taste
- curry leaves few
- oil 1tbsp
- fennel powder 1/4 tsp
- turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- coriander powder 1tbsp
- pepper powder 1/2 tsp
- cinnamon 1″ strand
- cloves 3-4
- cardamom 3
- whole peppercorn 4-5
- star anise 2
- bay leaf 1
- shallots 2-3 thinly round sliced
- curry leaves few
- oil (preferably coconut oil) 2tsp
- Wash the mutton pieces thoroughly under running water for 5-6 times or until the water runs clear(If the pieces are big,cut them medium sized and then wash).Drain water in a colander and leave aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and when hot,add the whole spices listed.Fry them until fragrant and then slide in the chopped ginger and garlic.Saute until the raw smell disappears.Add the sliced onions along with curry leaves and green chillies. Saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Keep the flame low and add in the spice powders(mix) listed,saute until a nice aroma wafts.Add in the mutton pieces and fry them with the spice onion mix.Keep stirring until the mutton starts to release water.Add in half the potatoes,salt and add the very thin coconut milk.
- Close the pressure cooker with weight and cook on high for 1 whistle,then lower the flame to low and cook for another 12-14 mins.Then switch off flame(the meat should be tender and cooked by now,if not continue to cook after you checked).
- In the meantime,add the reserved half potatoes and carrot in a pan.Add salt lightly with 1/2 cup of water.Cook covered until tender.Keep aside.
Once the pressure is released,open pressure cooker and you see the meat is nicely cooked and the potatoes are over cooked(don’t worry,they will get mashed and add to the gravy once you proceed further).
- Add the cooked carrots and potatoes(reserve the stock if any).Bring this to a boil and wait till the gravy thickens slightly.I added the stock to dilute the canned coconut milk and make medium thick coconut milk along with water(If you have no stock left add water and dilute).
- When one or two bubbles appear, switch off flame,adjust salt if required and keep covered.
- In another pan,heat oil.Add in sliced shallots and curry leaves.fry till the shallots turn pinkish brown in color.Switch off flame and pour over the curry.
- Keep covered for 10 mins and then serve warm with paalappam,vellayappam(kallappam), whole wheat paalappam or even chapathis !!