Milk Peda or Doodh Peda is a popular South Indian sweet which is normally made during special occasions or festive seasons. Learn how to prepare yummy Milk Peda.
- Condensed Milk – 1/2 tin (200 gms)
- Milk powder – 1 cup
- Melted Ghee – 2 tsp + to grease
- Saffron – 4 strands cut into small pieces
- Pistachios – 8 chopped finely
- Soak saffron in warm milk and set aside.Chop the pistachios finely, keep aside.In a non stick pan add condensed milk,milk powder and saffron milk.Whisk it well so that there are no lumps, this should be done even before switching on the flame.
Now switch on the flame and keep cooking. I used my whisk for a while to avoid lumps.Keep cooking until it starts to leave the sides of the pan.Once it starts leaving the sides of the pan, add ghee and give a quick mix.
- Keep cooking until you see a thick mass slightly sticky, try to take a small portion roll it and check, you should be able to form a ball.This is the correct stage.Switch off and let it cool down for 10mins. When it is still warm, pinch small lemon sized portion and make a ball, slightly flatten it.
- Make a small dent in the center, add chopped pistachios and arrange in a clean plate.Repeat the same until the entire mixture finishes.Leave it to set atleast for an hour.You can even refrigerate it for a while.It will look moist for a while then will become dry after an hour or so.The pedas will be chewy while shaping them but after an hour you will get the perfect texture
- Cool down and store in airtight container.