Karutha Halwa or Black Halwa is a special sweet prepared in Kerala. Learn how to prepare Karutha Halwa
- Rice Flour- 2 Cups
- Ghee- 1 & half Cups
- Water- 5 Cups
- Cardamon- 3 Cloves
- Cashew Nuts- a few
- Raisins- a few
- Dark Jaggery or Molasses(Karipotti) – 3 Cups
- In a pan, put 3 cups of dark jaggery and 2 cups of water, bring to boil in a stove for 10 mins, till the jaggery dissolve well with water, keep this solution aside.
- Take a heavy bottom pan, put 2 cups of rice flour and 3 cups of water, dissolve these two ingredients very well together, till it becomes like a milky consistency.
- In the same milky solution, add 1 & half cups of ghee and mix well together, heat the stove and bring to boil.
- Boil this solution for about 10 to 15 mins, till it become a thick batter to a light dough consistency.
- Keep on mixing, till the smooth dough leaves ghee, then add Jaggery solution or Molasses in the same mixture and mix well.
- In a soft dough to a batter consistency itself, add crushed cardamon cloves and keep on mixing.
- When the batter become thick, add crushed cashew nuts and then raisins.
- Immediately take a square or rectangular pan, put this thick mixture with the help of a heavy ladle.
- Arrange this mixture in the pan, so that the mixture comes to rectangular or square shape and keep it aside for 1 hour for cooling in a room temperature.
- After 1 hour, the mixture comes to soft solid stage, cut into 3 inch pieces and serve.
- The above procedure will take 2 hours minimum to get the best results.