Kakka which is a shell fish are used to prepare spicy and delicious sea food dish. Learn how to prepare tasty Kakka fry.
- Clams / Kakka erachi ( cleaned) – 1/2 kg
- Vinegar or juice of fresh lemon – 1 to 1.5 tea spoon
- Shallots or onion chopped – 1 cup ( use pearl onions n shallots)
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Coconut cuts ( thenga kothu ) – 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Tomato (Optional)
- Red chili flakes – 1 tea spoon
- Red chili powder – 1 tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1/4 to 1/2 tea spoon( optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Garam masala – 1/2 tea spoon( home made)
- Whole black pepper – 1/2 tea spoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon
- Garlic – 6-7 cloves
- Ginger – an inch piece
- Green chili – 3-4
- Fennel seeds – two pinches
- Black Peppercorns – 1/2 tea spoon
- Clean and rinse clams well. Bring to boil 3 cups of water , and add clams to it . Let it stand on a medium flame for 3 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water and drain again and keep aside.
- Add Vinegar or lime juice and salt and keep aside while we make the masala.
- Lightly crush all the ingredients mentioned under “To Crush”
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add chopped shallots and curry leaves. Saute till it is soft for like 6-7 minutes.
- Add coconut cuts and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the crushed mix and saute till the raw smell disappears and it turns to brown.
- (Add tomato if you are using it now and saute till the oil separates )
- Add red chili flakes , chili powder , turmeric and (coriander if using) and combine well, fry for a minute or two..sprinkle a table spoon of water if needed.
- Add the clams , mix well , and cook covered on a medium flame for 10-12 minutes.( add a 1/4 cup water if needed)
- Crush the black peppercorns.
- Uncover the pan, add garam masala , crushed black peppercorns , some more curry leaves and saute .
- Drizzle a tablespoon of oil, saute till it turns dry and brown. Serve warm.