Aviyal is a classic Kerala recipe which is a delightful mix of all kinds of vegetables in yoghurt and grated coconut and is seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves. Lets learn to prepare yummy aviyal.
- Thick yoghurt – ¼ to ½ cup
- Carrot – 2
- Potato – 1
- Beans – a few
- Plantain – 1
- Drumstick – 1
- Turmeric pwd – ¼ tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Salt to taste
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Green chillies – 1 or 2
- Chop all the vegetables to fine pieces.
- Heat coconut oil in a pressure cooker or thick bottom vessel.
- Add vegetables, turmeric water, little salt and mix well.
- Add ½ cup boiling water and cook it on a low flame until the veggies turn soft.
- Grind coconut with green chillies and cumin seeds into paste and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a fry pan.
- Add the cooked veggies and stir well.
- Add the coconut paste and combine.
- Remove from fire and allow to cool.
- Now add curd and mix gently.
- Garnish it with curry leaves.
- You can temper mustard, cumin seeds in coconut oil and add to the aviyal .